Do you have a new puppy or kitten? Congratulations on the new addition to the family! At May Veterinary we offer comprehensive puppy and kitten care because we understand how important it is for new pets to get high-quality medical services early in life. We can’t wait to get them started on the right track to a long and healthy lifestyle.
We recommend that you bring your new puppy in for their first visit to the vet at six weeks old. New kittens should come in between six and nine weeks old. The initial wellness exam includes:
- Full physical exam – We carefully examine your pet from nose to tail and checkfor any external problems or developmental defects.
- Parasite screening – We test for intestinal parasites that can cause serious medical problems in a new pet. In some cases, these parasitical infections can be passed on to humans, so get your new friend examined as soon as possible. For new puppies, we also strongly recommend heartworm prevention for protection against heartworm disease.
- Dental checkup – Good oral hygiene is necessary to maintain your pet’s overall health and well-being. We do an initial exam of teeth and gums, and discuss how to keep your pet’s teeth clean at home.
- Vaccinations – Starting your new pet on vaccines and keeping them current builds a strong foundation of good health. We follow a balanced approach to vaccinations by spreading them out over the first year so that your new pet can build immunity as they grow.
- Nutrition review – We can answer your questions on what to feed your pet to sustain their physical and mental development. We also provide vitamin supplements if necessary.
At May Veterinary, we provide spays or neuters from six months of age. We also provide microchip identification. Microchipping only takes about 10 seconds to complete, and it is the best way to quickly find pets who are lost and bring them home safe and sound.